Sunday, January 22, 2012

My first adventure...packing


My biggest worry since we decided to take a world tour was packing. How would I possibly fit everything I need for four months into one backpack? Then the trip expanded to six months and then eight. After Simon convinced me we should hike Mt. Kilimanjaro, packing became even more challenging. Not only did I have to pack for eight months but I needed to bring hiking equipment, clothes for freezing weather, and a rather large zero degree sleeping bag. After putting it off for months, two days before our departure date, I finally started to pack the bag. Hours later and after restarting the process several times the packing was complete. What did I pack? I really can't say for sure, but my dream of having a pair of shoes besides my hiking boots has come true.
After packing, I of course wanted to try the backpack on. Simon helped secure the backpack and promptly pushed me over. (To be fair, he pushed me over quite gently.) He thought it would be a good idea to see if I could still get up on my own with all that extra weight on my back or if I would just be stuck there like an upside down turtle. Luckily, I could get up on my own. Now my fingers are crossed that I don't need to walk very far carrying all of it. First stop...Dubai!

4 comments:

  1. I like this photo but I would also like to see one of you as an upside-down turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got your non-hiking shoes in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-hiking shoes ARE the most important accessory! Definitely glad you fit those in there!

      Delete